Last night, we reflected back on the life of Carrie Fisher, who starred as Princess Leia in Star Wars. Throughout the show, we also spoke about the political climate at the when Star Wars was released and how the Cold War was still a force to be reckoned with.

In the times where entertainment and information was there to change the political climate, there were also cold war stories that still somehow found their way into the mainstream news only to be filtered and forgotten. The idea of freedom of information at one time was just a pipe dream as the intelligence community was just beginning their solid and or sordid relationship with the news media. The State Department reviewed “intel” for the media and would block or censor certain stories.

It wasn’t known that just after World War II that in the halls of the CIA’s headquarters, in the corridors of the Pentagon, and in the strongholds of the National Security Agency, a war of deception was declared on the American people. It was an information war about the many secrets the government kept from us and about what sinister operations the military was up to and therefore “National Security” in one guise or another was always used as a cover and excuse for legitimate intelligence gathering operations as well as countless instances of cover-up and counterintelligence work.

By the early 1980s, the Air Force was interested in a new project then designated Space Based Radar, or SBR. This was a project championed by Air Force Space Command, not the Air Force office that was part of the NRO. The purpose of Space Based Radar was to detect aircraft in flight. The justification was that such a satellite could act as a kind of space-based airborne warning and control, or AWACS, system, detecting Soviet bombers and tactical aircraft in flight long before they could be spotted by ground-based radars in Europe and elsewhere.

From 1983 to 1993, DARPA spent over $1 billion on a program called the Strategic Computing Initiative (SCI). The agency’s goal was to push the boundaries of computers, artificial intelligence, and space dominance.

Star Wars, the popular nickname for Ronald Reagan’s Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), was a popular political football in the 1980’s, however it did manage to create ideas that included a electromagnetic grid or dome that could be hyper-connected to a surveillance apparatus, that would also be able to alert and dispatch autonomous war machines to find targets and destroy them.

The missions of SDI and SCI not to mention their originating institutions overlapped too much to be a coincidence, despite everyone’s insistence that it was just that.

Whether or not you believe SCI was going to function as an arm of the Star Wars mission for space-based defense, we are now questioning if there is now above us a functioning “space grid” that will not only defend us from enemy threats, but will also control us and even eliminate us if we are targeted by the all-seeing eye.

Imagine a global wireless network overseeing various sub-networks within the U.S. military. Imagine armies of robot tanks on the ground talking to fleets of drones in the sky and unmanned submarines in the sea, all coordinating their activities faster than any human commander ever could. Now imagine it all being that much more complicated, with nukes waiting to be deployed in space.

The projects of SDI and SCI have allegedly petered out, but it does not mean that the space fence surveillance network idea has not ceased to evolve.

Throughout the 1980s, various Air Force generals declared that Space Based Radar was their highest priority new program. Despite this constant endorsement, the proposal was never adopted by the Air Force leadership or the Secretary of Defense for actual development. When the Cold War ended, the fundamental justification for the program didn’t exist anymore.

For over three decades we have been told that the end of the cold war killed the space race. We have been told that the Air force and Space command had no reason to arm space because our enemy had been defeated.

Now, we are beginning to reverse the chronology and understand that there was more to space in the 1980’s than what we were told.

In 1980, the world was going through some very uncertain times.

Back then, Saddam Hussein was not an enemy, Ronald Reagan had just become president elect, and John Lennon was shot dead as he and his wife Yoko Ono were returning to their Manhattan apartment.

These accounts were obviously major stories that deserved the most black ink and front-page status.

But the story that could not be told to the public was happening in the U.K. It is another intense UFO incident that doesn’t get much press, but it remains a terrifying encounter for the military who were stationed at Bentwaters and Woodbridge near the Rendlesham Forest.

Rendlesham Forest is a large pine forest, east of Ipswich, in Suffolk, England. Nearby are the twin NATO air bases, RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge; at the time both bases were being leased to the United States Air Force. Several UFO incidents, including multiple-witness sightings by military personnel, ground traces, and radioactive anomalies were reported from Rendlesham Forest.

According to USAF security patrolmen on duty, “the object was described as being metallic in appearance and triangular in shape, approx. 2-3 meters across the base… it illuminated the entire forest with a white light, and had a pulsing red light on top and banks)of blue lights underneath.”

In November, 2002, the British Ministry of Defense released the “Rendlesham File” of documents related to and confirming the Rendlesham Forest incident. Recently, a witness to the incident, Steve Longero broke his silence to tell the truth about what really happened there.

The Rendlesham Forest incident took place in December 1980 over a series of at least two nights.

On December 26, 1980, military personnel at the twin bases of RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge in Suffolk saw a strange light in Rendlesham Forest, which lies between the two bases. Three men were sent out to investigate where two of them encountered a small, triangular shaped craft.

One man, Jim Penniston, got close enough to touch the side of the object.

He and another of the airmen present, John Burroughs, made sketches of the craft for witness statements. Two nights later, Deputy Base Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Charles Halt and his team then encountered the unknown object.

Despite an MOD investigation the Rendlesham Forest incident remains unexplained.

The case has been nicknamed, the British Roswell.

On December 26, 1980, just after midnight radar installations had picked up and began tracking a UFO that dropped below radar coverage. The “fallen angel” or “bogey” Was heading towards the small town of Ipswich. This was near the sensitive NATO bases that were leased by the RAF and the 81st Tactical Fighter wing. These two bases are known as RAF Woodbridge and RAF Bentwaters.

Rendlesham Forest surrounds the two bases. When the aircraft came down in the forest, U.S. personnel and civilians had thought that a plane had gone down in the area and security had asked permission to search outside the gate to see what had happened.

It was 3 A.M. when two United States Air Force security police saw an aircraft with unusual lights crash just outside the east back gate at RAF Woodbridge. The patrolman radioed in and claimed that a metallic triangular shaped aircraft may have been forced down. A strange glow was emitting from nearby Rendlesham forest. The entire forest it seemed was bathed in an eerie glow of white light.

The object according to the witnesses was about 9-10 feet across and about 6-7 feet high. There seemed to be a pulsing red light on top of the object and banks of icy blue lights underneath. As time passed the farm animals that were near the base were upset as the light was pulsating red and white. According to Sergeant Larry Warren, who was stationed at Bentwaters, it looked like a plane hit and a fire was smoldering in the forest.

The object would maneuver through the tress and then disappear.

At daylight, three depressions were found in the area proving that something had landed in the forest near Bentwaters at Woodbridge and the following night the area was tested for radiation. The readings of Beta/Gamma radiation were recorded with peak readings near the depressions. There were also high readings in the center of the triangle that was left behind by the UFO.

The readings were shown to be at 0.1 milliroentgens and nearby trees were showing readings of .05 and .07.

This UFO was seen again when night fell.

A red light that appeared to be like a large fireball maneuvered through the trees pulsing and throwing off particles sending five different elliptical objects into the sky. They darted about in the northern sky and changed from red to green and then to blue.

These objects then turned into full circles and remained in the sky for an hour or two. The main object remained to the south and sent out a beam of light into the sky.

USAF Sergeant Larry Warren claimed that when he and other personnel arrived in the woods they could see a strange mist that covered the ground that resembled a soupy ground fog – the fog itself had a luminescent glow to it. Looking into the fog, they could see the pulsing red light that eventually pulsed more brightly.

After the red light exploded the triangle could be seen. The main body of the craft was pearl white. The sides of the craft had a chromatic rainbow affect as light reflected from its sides.

USAF Sergeant John Burroughs also witnessed the triangular craft when he was called to investigate. He was the one who accompanied the two security patrolmen in the woods. James Archer was one of the security patrolmen who confirmed that the object was a triangular shaped object with three landing legs.

Archer also claimed that he could see what appeared to be the pilots of the aircraft but he claimed that the shapes did not look human. He also hypothesized that the occupants may not have been human. However it needs to be stressed that he didn’t go to the extremes of claiming that they were “aliens.” He thought that they might have been robotic in nature. Perhaps the aircraft was piloted by remote control.

Sergeant Adrain Bustinza who was acting security police commander at the time of the incident claimed that when they arrived to investigate the downed aircraft the light alls would not turn on and that the jeeps were drained of energy.

The Deputy Base Bommander of RAF Woodbridge Lt. Col. Charles Halt documented the event as “Unexplained lights in Rendlesham Forest.” British and American authorities had apparently audio taped and videotaped the whole event.

British tabloids were the first papers to report this remarkable story. The papers were spinning tales of alien encounters based upon an alleged account by Larry Warren. Larry Warren allegedly claimed that the next thing he remembered was that he awoke in his bunk with a headache with mud caked all the way up to his knees. Warren allegedly claimed that he was tested for exposure to radiation and was forced to sign a security oath.

Warren later supposedly broke his oath and claimed that he and others were shown high quality gun camera films of UFO’s shooting down MIG fighter jets. Warren said that the footage was very clear and showed a classic flying disc. Warren said that there is a point of missing time where during the investigation in the forest they were ordered to form a circle around the perimeter of the object.

Base Commander Colonel Gordon Williams then approached the object and a beam of light came down from the ship. Three silver suited beings came down out of the light. They were human looking with large heads and almond shaped eyes, the classic grey.

Colonel Williams denies that he was there. Others swear to it. They also say that the USAF personally assisted the beings in making repairs to their craft.

The whole incident was reported in tabloids as only lasting 30 minutes to an hour. When numerous accounts say that the whole event continued for a nightmarishly long 3-day period.

The only thing that remained was the shadows, the flash of red light and the separating craft. Not to mention the nightmare of meeting strange beings that conveniently didn’t end up on the tape. The tape that Colonel Halt made and the film footage covered several hours of the incident and only 18 minutes of the audiotape exists and the video footage was cloudy at best. The video footage allegedly was flown to West Germany’s Ramstein Air Force Base.

All we hear is the sound of men who are confused and frightened. The tape was heavily edited omitting the alleged encounter with the beings. It was recorded that a civilian was affected by the events near Rendlesham. Gordon Levitt lived near the edge of the forest near the Military bases. On December 26th, 1980, he had been out walking with his dog when he suddenly looked up and spotted an object that he described as being like an upturned mushroom with a greenish-white glow. The aircraft was silent and glided towards RAF Woodbridge and RAF Bentwaters. The next day Levitt had claimed that his dog remained in its doghouse obviously shocked and looking very ill. It finally died a few days later.

Col. Halt later went on to write a memo detailing what happened which he sent to the MOD but defense chiefs said the incident was of “no defense significance.”

The MOD stated it no longer investigated UFO reports adding: “All historic MOD files relating to UFO sightings, including Rendlesham Forest, have either been released, or are in the process of being released to The National Archives.”

Rendlesham Forest case is undoubtedly one of the best documented and most significant military encounters with a UFO. It is also very credible incident.

Looking back at its historical value and the time in which the incident took place, it can now be revealed that perhaps the UFO attraction to the base had something to do with nuclear weapons storage at the facility.

RAF US Air Force Bentwaters, one of NATOs largest tactical nuclear-weapon stores in non-communist Europe and RAF US Air Force Woodbridge, base was the home of the 67th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron. The 67th was a special unit that answered directly to the Department of Defense in Washington. The unit was one of few to be equipped with spacecraft-recovery Hercules HC-130 aircraft, and was trained in satellite recovery.

Other UFO incursions at ICBM sites, at various Air Force Bases during different time-frames, have been reported before the Rendlesham incident.

Back in 1966 it was reported that several nuclear missiles at Minot Air force base became temporarily unavailable for launch leaving the country unprotected at the time.

In 1967, missiles began shutting down from ‘alert’ status to ‘No-Go’ status in rapid succession at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana. None of the four or five missiles which faulted came back on line. Some signal had been sent to the missiles which caused them to go off alert status.

Military witnesses claimed that there were UFO’s sighted over the base at the time.

In late 1968, numerous ground witnesses observed an unconventional aerial object maneuvering over the [Minuteman] ICBM missile fields surrounding Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota. During this time, an unidentified object paced a B-52 and was recorded on radar. Later, the crew of the B-52 overflew and observed a large glowing object on or near the ground.

In lieu of little green men, could we also conclude that these incidents could have been part of some elaborate secret space program aimed at not only bringing down satellites but shutting down nuclear war heads as well?

Does this technology still exist today?

According to stories, we have reported this year the answer is yes.

Remember that Russia and China are extending above the atmosphere with their military might and from what we can gather, these programs have all been around since the early 1960’s.

Russia forfeited its moon ambitions for war platforms in space. Russia is taking aim at America in space with a dizzying array of weapons seemingly borrowed from science fiction. Russia has deployed what could be multiple kamikaze satellites such as “Kosmos 2499” – designed to sidle up to American satellites and then, if ordered, disable or destroy them. China has launched the “Shiyan” – equipped with a grappling arm that could snatch US satellites right out of orbit.

It was announced yesterday the China National Space Administration, its version of NASA, has outlined an ambitious five-year plan to become a leader in the international space race. The country hopes to land two probes on the moon by 2018, and launch an exploratory mission to Mars by 2020.

China’s space industry has witnessed rapid progress since 2011. Currently, China has mastered major space technologies such as manned space transportation, space extravehicular activity, space docking, operating in assembly and astronauts’ mid-term stay in orbit, according to the white paper.

If we look back at UFO incidents at military installations, we may unravel a secret space program that has threatened national security for decades. That is why it is important to start reporting UFO’s – and be a bit objective before you start thinking they are being piloted by little green men.